There are several approaches that we take to support people with dyslexia when using our products.
Support for the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Our goal is to design products that meet the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1 AA. Amongst other things, this means that we aim to make sure that:
- There is sufficient contrast between the color of text and the color of its background.
- There is enough time for users to read and operate content.
- Content can be resized without loss of information or functionality.
- Text content is rendered as plain text so that users can customize the styling to their own individual requirements.
Support for customizing content in the browser
We encourage people to make use of tools and features that they may already have available on their computers. We have separate FAQs that explain how to customize and read content more easily:
- Changing the font size and magnifying content.
- Changing the color of text and/or its background.
- Using text-to-speech (TTS) and screen reader software to read the text aloud.
zyBooks includes a separate accessibility mode that people can activate to improve access to certain functionality. When activated, it has the following effects:
- Increased color contrast
- Drag-and-drop activities are replaced with multiple choice questions.
- Questions that include computer code use plain text instead.
This mode can be switched on by the student. An admin-enabled accessibility mode is also available and can be switched on at the administrator level. In addition to the above effects, all animations and interactive components are replaced with static versions.
For further information read What is the accessibility mode and how do I enable it