Welcome to zyBooks! We hope you find adopting zyBooks helps your students succeed, and helps you be more efficient and have more fun teaching.
- Tell students their textbook is a zyBook, and give them your class' unique zyBook code.
- No need to do anything else; you can teach as you always have, knowing your students have a much better “book”. For even better results, read on.
- Assign points in your syllabus for PA and CA completion. Participation Activities (PAs) are like “reading”, and Challenge Activities (CAs, if present) are like auto-graded “homework”. Studies show 5%-10% of course points for each works great.
- Make PAs due before lectures, for engaged students, and to free you from covering all topics. You can focus on key concepts, do examples, allow student group work (“flip”), etc.
- No need to set up assignments; just announce due dates, then download activity reports (csv files) anytime after due dates, and upload the csv to your gradebook.
- Make CAs (if present) due end of week.
- Configure the zyBook to match your syllabus. Some instructors make each week a chapter. Set some sections to optional, and move some to unused or to later chapters. Configure mode allows you to have a fully custom order to match your teaching style.
- Add notes in any section. Instructors use notes to make announcements, comment on our content, provides links to more resources like videos, articles, or slides, and more.
- Try presentation mode. Many instructors just project a zyBook in class, playing the animations, viewing the figures, using the coding windows, and more. Presentation mode goes further, by converting a section to look like a PowerPoint slide.
- Search. Using our content explorer, search a zyBook for key terms in section titles, captions, definitions, and more. See what kinds of activities exist in sections, and how many exist too.
- zyLabs: If enabled for your zyBook (extra cost), create your own auto-graded programming assignments in just minutes, via the web; no special skills needed.
See our zyBooks 101 article for more info.